Valley Parent Information
WALKING SCHOOL BUS INFORMATION
GUIDELINES for the Walking School Bus are listed below:
Weekly Schedule: Wednesday mornings April 5th through May 24th
- Time Schedule: Start time will be 7:15 am at the Legion Hall. Finish time will be 7:50 am at the school.
- Poor Weather: Please be sure to dress children for the weather. The Walking School Bus will be called off due to poor weather at the discretion of the volunteers and parents. Please make necessary phone calls informing those involved with the route- volunteers should call parents to cancel the walk, and parents should call volunteers if they do not feel comfortable having their student walk. Contact information is listed on the route map. It is suggested that the Walking School Bus does not walk if it is heavily raining or storming at 7 am. However, it is up to each individual route to make and communicate a weather-related decision.
- Unplanned School Delay: The Walking School Bus will NOT walk.
- Sick Student: Please contact your route’s main volunteer (listed on your route map).
- Student Behavior: To assure the safety of participants, poor behavior will not be tolerated. Students behaving poorly will not be able to participate for the remainder of the school year. Volunteers should report any bad behavior to Ashley Christensen (563-382-6171 or email@example.com).
- Volunteer Cancellation: If cancellation is known at least 3 days in advance, volunteers should contact Ashley Christensen (563-382-6171 or firstname.lastname@example.org) so she can find a sub. If cancellation is last minute, volunteers should contact parents to cancel the WSB for that day.
PARENTAL CONSENT for the Walking School Bus. Parents- please respond to email@example.com stating you are in agreement. Your email will serve as your electronic signature. Thanks!
- I understand and agree to the following:
- The Elgin Walking School Bus (WSB) promotes walking to school to increase daily physical activity for children and adults in the neighborhood and increase safety for pedestrians.
- The WSB is intended to reduce the risk of injury for children as they travel to and from school through the use of adult supervision. However, there are risks associated with child pedestrians, including risk of injury as a result of a motor vehicle crash, a fall, overexertion or carelessness. I understand and agree that by participating in the WSB, I am assuming these risks.
- In consideration of my child or ward being allowed to participate in the WSB, I hereby release from liability and agree to indemnify and hold harmless Palmer Community Health, Upper Explorerland Regional Planning Commission, my child or ward’s school, and their officers, employees, volunteers and agents from any claim or cause of action arising out of and related to any injury, loss, damages or other liabilities that may occur as a result of my child or ward’s participation in the WSB.
- I authorize any official, employee, agent or volunteer of the WSB to consent to emergency medical treatment as necessary for the health and safety of my child or ward. I further agree that no official, employee, agent or volunteer will be held responsible for injuries or damages arising from the provision of any such emergency medical treatment.
- I further grant permission for my child or ward to appear in person or in voice, video or photographic presentation for radio, television, electronic or print media to promote participation in the WSB.
- I certify that I have read this consent form and understand the WSB and its risk. By signing this consent form via my email response, I agree to allow my child to participate in the WSB.
Valley has been fortunate to have many community members, students, parents, and grandparents volunteer on a regular basis. These volunteers help in numerous ways and the help is greatly appreciated by staff as well as students. Some of the areas in which volunteers support the school are: working with a student, reading to a class, assisting with computer projects from home, assist in the library, run the copy machine, or help out in the preschool. We are very fortunate to have Cindy Butikofer as our Valley Volunteer Coordinator (pictured above). Please contact Cindy if you are interested in becoming a part of our team and volunteering with us!