NORTH FAYETTE VALLEY COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
BOARD OF EDUCATION
Minutes, Regular Meeting of the North Fayette Valley Community School District Board of Education, 6:00 p.m., Monday August 12, 2019 in the NFV High School Library, 600 North Pine St., West Union, IA 52175.
NFV Board of Education: Julie Ahrens, Stacy Cummings, Marc Rue, Eileen Schlawin
Absent: Dawn Daughton, Carolyn Roys, Alex Soderquist
Others: Superintendent: Duane Willhite, HS Principal: Todd Wolverton, Business Manager: Sue Thoms, WUE Elementary Principal: Travis Elliot, Board Secretary: Carole Nading, Supt. Secretary: Susan Winter, Media: Megan Molseed, Student Ex-officio members: Cassi Moss, Joey Shea, Taylor Ney Public:Carol Reierson, Aleisha Woods, Jessica Bushman
Board President Cummings called the regular meeting of the NFV Board of Education to order at 6:05 p.m.
Board members present: Ahrens, Cummings, Rue, Schlawin. Absent: Daughton, Roys, Soderquist.
Motion to approve the agenda with the following additions: under Consent Agenda item d. ii.(New Hires) Kristina Lauer – cook, contract to Brent Kuker for Head Softball Coach; under New Business item l. Sale of Grand Piano, m. Approve 6th grade field trip and n. Vacated Board Seat. Ahrens/Schlawin. Motion carried 4-0.
Ex-officio student board members reported to the board on the following:
- (Cassie Moss) All State Camp, 2 students participating this year on the Decorah swim team
- (Joey Shea) Update on the mural in the high school gym. It will be completed by the first day of school.
- (Taylor Ney) Homecoming activities update scheduled for Sept 29-Oct 5th with the Homecoming game Oct. 4th vs. Monticello.
Motion to approve the consent agenda with the following items:
- Minutes of July 8, 2019- regular meeting
- Review and approve invoices
- Approve Financial Reports
- Approve contracts and resignation
- Resignation: Antwyan Cullar, DA Para, Dawn Fenneman, Cook, Leah Scholbrock, Para.
- New Hires: Para Professionals: (Valley site) Tabitha Molyneux, Alesha Wettleson, Carissa Bausch, Shari McElree; High School Para Professionals: Brittney Treolar, Dana Leitzman, Julie Kopsa; Co-Administrative Assistants at West Union Elementary (.5 stipend for each): Elly Lehs and Jessica Bushman; Cheerleading Coaches/Co-Dance line Coaches: Stephanie Wagner and Jaymes Dotzenrod; Head Softball coach: Brent Kuker, Cook – Kristina Lauer Volunteer Coaches – Gary Beemiss and Koby Moore (football), Valley site Concession Sponsor– Julie Frieden.
Ahrens/Rue. Motion carried 4-0.
Principal and Curriculum Director reports were included in board packets for review.
Superintendent Report included updates on:
- Valley Water Report – a chlorination system is being considered as required by the Iowa DNR after 3 positive tests. The Valley site has had 2 positive tests. The water is safe to drink. Mr. Willhite thanked Fehr Graham and Doug Easton for their assistance in this process.
- Solar Project update – all 4 installations have been approved by Alliant to proceed with construction.The contract with the investor was discussed and will come back to the board for approval pending the school’s attorney review.
Motion to approve for second read: Board policy #409.3 – Emergency Leave and #409.5 – Employee Bereavement Leave and 409.9 – Employee Personal Leave. Schlawin/Ahrens. Motion carried 4-0.
Motion to approve the parking repairs by Prairie Road Builder, Inc. in the total amount of $36,495. (Fayette Elementary-$3,872; High School-$3,541; NFV Elementary and MS – $29,082) Rue/Ahrens. Motion carried 4-0.
Motion to approve additional signature of Duane Willhite on district checking accounts as requested by the district’s Farmer’s Savings bank account in Colesburg. Ahrens/Rue. Motion carried 4-0.
Motion to approve the Student Handbook changes for 2019-2020 as presented. Schlawin/Ahrens. Motion carried 4-0.
Motion to approve the purchase of a 2020 Suburban from Brown’s Sales & Leasing, Elkader, IA at the state bid rate of $40,500. Ahrens/Schlawin. Motion carried 4-0.
Motion to approve the Return to Learn Protocols as presented. Rue/Ahrens. Motion carried 4-0.
Motion to approve the Northeast Iowa Health Occupations Academy contract with NICC to provide a Career and Technical Health Occupations Program for the 2019-2020 school year as presented. Cummings/Ahrens. Motion carried 4-0.
The board reviewed the Contract with Encore Energy.
The board was given information from Ms. Bushman on the potential of the district approving a therapy dog that would be housed in her classroom most of the time. Additional research will be done before the board takes action on this proposal.
The board completed a first read for revision of board policies 412.5 – Administrative/Other Positions, 414.4 Classified Employee Personal Illness, Family Illness, Bereavement and Personal Leaves, 403.9- Employee All- Family and Medical Leave Act, rescinding policy 409.4 – Licensed Employee Family and Medical Leave Act, 504.3-R2 School Publications-North Fayette Valley High School Newspaper Policy, and 905.2R1 North Fayette Valley Performing Arts Center Rental Information.
Superintendent Wilhite reviewed the Solar Agreement with the board. The agreement has been sent to the district’s attorney for final review. This will be on the September 9, 2019 agenda for board approval
The board discussed with Principal Wolverton the concept and potential of the Hall of Fame concept. Superintendent Willhite encouraged the board to make contact with persons in the public to consider sitting on the initial Hall of Fame committee. This item will come back to the board at a future meeting.
President Cummings opened the Public Hearing to Move Funds to Flexibility Account at 7:41 p.m. After discussion with the board, there were no verbal or written comments from the public, President Cummings closed the public hearing at 7:54 p.m.
Director Ahrens introduced and caused to be read the Resolution hereinafter set out and moved its adoption; seconded by Director Schlawin after due consideration thereof by the Board, the President put the question upon the adoption of said Resolution and the roll having been called, the following Directors voted: Aye, Ahrens, Cummings, Rue, Schlawin. Nay: none. Whereupon the President declared said Resolution duly adopted as follows:
WHEREAS, Iowa Code provides school districts greater flexibility to transfer excess funds to other specified purposes;
WHEREAS, the Board in consultation with its community has determined that funds of $6954.52 in the general fund shall be transferred to the student activity fund to purchase protective and safety equipment required for any extracurricular interscholastic athletic contest or competition that is sponsored or administered bay an organization as currently defined by Iowa Code.
NOW, THEREFORE, be it resolved by the Board; Passed and approved this 12th day of August, 2019.
Motion to approve selling the Grand Piano located at the Valley site through sealed bids. Schlawin/Rue. Motion carried 4-0.
Motion to approve the 6th grade camp out field trip on September 5th & 6th. Schlawin/Rue. Motion carried 4-0.
Motion to declare the board of education seat currently held by Alex Soderquist, District #1 as vacant and to begin seeking a volunteer to be appointed to this seat at the September 9, 2019 meeting and run for permanent placement of this seat at the November 5, 2019 School Board elections. Rue/Schlawin. Motion carried 4-0.
Motion to adjourn. Rue/Schlawin. Motion carried. 4-0.
The board adjourned their regular meeting at 8:00 p.m.
Stacy Cummings President Carole Nading Board Secretary