VISITORS ADMINISTRATION BOARD
Cassie Peterson Duane Willhite Julie Ahrens
Amber Linderbaum Betsy Nefzger Stacy Cummings
Tim Feldman Todd Wolverton Dawn Daughton
Doug Poppen Micah Gearhart Marc Rue
Kris Peterson BUSINESS MANAGER
Susan Winter Sue Thoms
MINUTES OF THE DECEMBER 10, 2018
Board President Cummings called the regular meeting of the North Fayette Valley Community School District Board of Education to order at 6:00 p.m. in a classroom of the NFV Fayette Elementary School, 200 Volga Street, Fayette, Iowa 52142.
Board members present: Ahrens, Cummings, Daughton, and Rue. Absent: Roys, Schlawin and Soderquist.
President Cummings lled the Board and audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Motion to approve the consent agenda as presented.Daughton/Ahrens. Motion carried 4-0.
Motion to approve the consent agenda with the following items:
- Minutes of the November 19, 2018 Regular Meeting
- Review/approve invoices
- Review/approve financial reports
- Approve resignation of Donna Bausch, Paraprofessional effective December 21, 2018
- Notifications of at-will assignments; Denise Henning – Paraprofessional, Sue Vorwad – Paraprofessional
- Volunteer Coach contract – Micah Ruroden, MS Basketball
- Receive/approve gifts (none)
Ahrens/Rue. Motion carried 4-0.
Principal reports were included in the board packets for review.
Curriculum Director, Betsy Nefzger facilitated discussion of the first chapter of the book study “The Leader In Me” with the board.
Superintendent report included updates on:
- The district received notice from PERB the authorization of the Certified and Support Staff Associations from North Fayette and Valley are now one under North Fayette Valley.
Board Member Communications:
- IASB Day on the Hill – Board members are encouraged to attend this event on January 4, 2019.
Motion to approve for second read and approval of revision (one regulation rescinded) as follows:
- 213 – Public Participation in Board Meetings
- 213.1 – Public Complaints
- 213.1R1 (recommend: rescind)
- 502.3 – Freedom of Expression
- 502.6 – Weapons
- 502.7 – Tobacco Alcohol and Drugs
- 502.8 – Search and Seizure
- 505.5 – Graduation Requirements
- 704.3 – Investments
- 705.1 – Purchasing-Bidding
- 710.2 – Free or Reduced Cost Meal Eligibility
- 710.4 – Meal Charges
- 804.2 – Warning System and Emergency Plans
Daughton/Ahrens. Motion carried 4-0.
Motion to approve the ISG Contract for the West Union Elementary Roof project and the potential Baseball Field Renovation and lighting as presented. Daughton/Rue.
Motion carried 4-0.
Motion to approve the Inter-Agency Contract with Rainbowland Special Education Preschool Program as presented. Ahrens/Rue. Motion carried 4-0.
Motion to establish an NFV Facilities Committee. Daughton/Rue. Motion carried 4-0. (The committee will have its first meeting in January 2019 with the intent of meeting 4 times; once at each NFV facility. Membership will include administration, staff, community and two board members.)
Motion to offer Early Retirement package per Board Policy 406.7 for 2019 with a limit of 3 applicants on a first come first serve basis. Deadline for application is January 17, 2019. Rue/Ahrens. Motion carried 4-0.
Motion to approve the LED lighting project as presented. Ahrens/Daughton. Motion carried 4-0
(The district has the classrooms left to install the LED lighting. Alliant is offering a 50% per price of lamp rebate until the end of March, and Walvatne Electric is offering a discount per lamp and on the installation. Total project will be approximately $40,000. The project calculates a $14,000 electricity savings per year, payback 2.5 years)
Motion to approve extending the Duration Clause of 2018 NFVSPA Negotiated Agreement as presented. Rue/Daughton. Motion carried. 4-0.
The next meeting of the NFV Board of Education will be Monday, January 14, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. in the Media Center, NFV Middle School, 23493 Canoe Road, Elgin, IA 52141.
Motion to adjourn. Rue/Daughton. Motion carried 4-0.
The board adjourned their regular meeting at 7:20 p.m.
Board President Board Secretary
Following the regular meeting the board convened in an exempt negotiations strategy meeting as provided by Section 20.17 (3) Code of Iowa.