VISITORS ADMINISTRATION BOARD OF EDUCATION
Susan Winter Duane Willhite Stacy Cummings
Kyle Harms Betsy Nefzger Dawn Daughton
Megan Molseed Micah Gearhart Carolyn Roys
Jes Wagner Marc Rue
Courtney Bentley Eileen Schlawin
MINUTES OF THE FEBRUARY 11, 2019
Regular Board Meeting
Board President Cummings called the regular meeting of the NFV Board of Education to order at 6:03 p.m. in the library of the NFV High School, 600 North Pine St., West Union, IA. 52175 and led the board and audience in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Board members present: Cummings, Daughton, Roys, Rue and Schlawin.
Absent: Ahrens and Soderquist.
Motion to approve the agenda as printed. Rue/Roys. Motion carried 5-0.
Motion to approve the consent agenda with the following items:
- Minutes of the January 14, 2019 regular meeting
- Review and approve invoices
- Approve financial reports
- Approve resignation of Leslie Poppen; Elementary General Music, effective at the end of the 2018-2019 school year
- Accept the early retirement application of Leslie Poppen
- Notice of at will assignments
- Assistant Varsity Track – Micah Ruroden
- Middle School Drama Coach – Rick Scheffert
- Middle School Assistant Drama Coach – Shirleen Reinhardt
Schlawin/Roys. Motion carried 5-0.
Principals reports were in the board packets for review.
Curriculum director, Betsy Nefzger conducted chapter two of the book study Leader In Me with the board.
Superintendent’s report included updates on:
- PTO Playground Committee representatives, Jes Wagner and Courtney Bentley gave the board an update on the progress of the project at Fayette Elementary.
- The board previewed the 2019-2020 school calendar. The board will approve the calendar at the March 11, 2019 regular board meeting.
- Superintendent Willhite indicated there would be a Closed Session regarding an expulsion hearing on Monday, February 18, 2019 at 5:30 p.m. at the NFV High School.
Motion to approve for second read and adoption Policy 202.6 – Student School Board Representative. Roys/Rue. Motion carried 5-0.
After discussion with the board regarding the costs of proposed baseball field project and concerns that have come to light regarding the geothermal field and the transfer lines, it was Superintendent Willhite’s recommendation to look at phasing the project and look at doing a sidewalk allowing for handicap accessibility to the field this summer, and investigating other options for concessions and restrooms at the field. Possible other improvements may also be considered. Lights and a building can still become a reality in future phases.
Superintendent Willhite reviewed a Capital Projects Budget planning spreadsheet for the PPEL and SAVE funds for the next 5 years. The spreadsheet included estimated revenues for those 5 years, future payments for bus leases and the sales tax bonds, and estimates for routine maintenance and technology. This will give the Board and Facility Committee an idea of what funds they have to work with as they give recommendation on future capital projects.
Motion to approve the Request for Proposal (RFP) of a VoIP Phone System as presented.
Schlawin/Roys. Motion carried 5-0.
The board performed a first read on the following policies:
- #507.2; Administration of Medications
- #507.8; Student Special Health Services
- #403.7; Drug and Alcohol Testing Program
- #403.6; Substance Free Workplace
- #606.6; District Sponsored Student Trip Policy
- #606.6-E1; District Sponsored Student Trip Acknowledgment
- #606.6-E2; Student Medical Release Form for Out of State/Country Travel
These policies will come to the board for 2nd read at their regular March 11, 2019 board meeting.
Motion to approve Max Gibson, Ty Stee, and Chloe Cummings as Student Ex-officio Members of the Board of Education for the remainder of the 2018-2019 school year. Daughton/Rue. Motion carried 5-0.
The board discussed with Superintendent Willhite options for school make up time due to lost minutes because of weather related delays and/or cancellations. Mr. Willhite will meet with the Labor Management Committee and discuss the following for some of the make up minutes needed and will report back to the board at the March 11, 2019 meeting.
- 4 days May 28,29,30 and 31 (Tues. – Fri) 1825 minutes
- 5 Cancelled Wednesday @75 min each 375 minutes
- Use April 18 with early out 320 minutes
Items for the next regular meeting on March 11, 2019 will include tax levies, 2019-2020 school calendar, make up days and a presentation from Neal Bentley and Rachael Strong regarding the use of the plasma printer. The March meeting will be at the NFV Middle School Media Center, 23493 Canoe Road, Elgin, IA 52141 beginning at 6:00 p.m.
Motion to adjourn. Daughton/Rue. Motion carried 5-0.
The Board adjourned their regular meeting at 7:53 p.m.
Board President, Stacy Cummings Board Secretary, Carole Nading