NORTH FAYETTE VALLEY COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
BOARD OF EDUCATION
Minutes, Regular Meeting of the North Fayette Valley Community School District Board of Education, 6:00 p.m., Monday, November 11, 2019 in the Middle School Media Center, 23493 Canoe Road, Elgin, IA 52141
NFV Board of Education: Julie Ahrens, Stacy Cummings, Dawn Daughton, LaCreasha McNeese, Carolyn Roys, Marc Rue.
Others: Superintendent: Duane Willhite, HS Principal: Todd Wolverton, Business Manager: Sue Thoms, WUE
Principal: Travis Elliot, VE & MS Principal: Micah Gearhart, Business Manager: Sue Thoms, Supt. Secretary: Susan Winter, Board Secretary, Carole Nading; Media: Megan Molseed, Student Ex-officio members: Taylor Ney Public:Emily Koch
President Cummings called the regular meeting of the NFV Board of Education to order at 6:02 p.m.
Board members present: Ahrens, Cummings, McNeese, Roys, Rue.
Absent: Daughton and Schlawin.
Motion to approve the agenda adding; Resignation: Ted Schacherer – Pit Band Director. New Hires: Kyle Harms – Pit Band Director, Julie Lansing-Para Professional and Volunteer Coach – Elise Vandersee- Bowling, and upon recommendation from the State, waiting until the December 9, 2019 meeting to take action on the SBRC Application. Rue/Ahrens. Motion carried 6-0.
Public Forum: No comments were made.
Motion to approve the consent agenda with the following items:
- Minutes of :
- October 14, 2019 – regular meeting
- October 21, 2019 – Public Hearing
- October 29, – Special Meeting.
- Review and approve invoices
- Approve Financial Reports
- Approve contracts and resignation
- Resignation – Ted Schacherer- Pit Band Director
- New Hires – Kyle Harms – Pit Band Director, Jule Lansing – Para Professional
- Volunteer Coaches: Elise Vandersee – Bowling
- Receive/approve gifts – Financial gift from Kara Wedemeier for MHAT, Reid Martin for Cheerleading and Suzanne Rowe dance team choreography. Rue/Ahrens. Motion carried 6-0.
Member Daughton arrived at 6:07 p.m.
- Student Ex-Officio Member, Taylor Ney gave the Board updates on the Student Council Advisory Challenge for December which will include providing Christmas gifts that will be sent overseas and writing letters to Veterans. The Women’s Empowerment initiative of World Kindness. Student activities included updates on Jazz Choir auditions, Drill Team preparing for State Competition in December and Tiger Hawk Enterprises have been busy with orders.
Principal and Curriculum Director reports were included in board packets for review.
Superintendent Report included updates on:
- Overview of the National Rural Schools Convention: Some topics covered were: CTE programming in other states, teacher shortages and internships/work experiences, and Holographic Epistemologies.
- Solar installations update – Fayette and Valley site installations are generating. The bus barn is complete but not yet turned on and the High School will be complete in a few weeks.
Board member report: Member Ahrens will be the Board’s Delegate to the IASB convention in Des Moines on November 21st and 22nd.
No bids were submitted for the sale of the FFA tractor.
The Board performed a second read on the Therapy Dog Policies and recommended additional language that will be made and the policies will be brought back for a third read at the December 9th meeting.
606.3 – Animals in the Classroom
508.6 (old number) New policy # 606.3R1 Service Animals in the School
606.3R2 – Therapy Dog Teams in NFV Schools (new regulation)(Service and Therapy Dog)
Motion to approve for second read and revision the following policies:
- 203 – Board of Directors Conflict of Interest
- 206.2 – Vice President
- 307 – Communication Channels
- 501.5 – Attendance Center Assignment
- 505.5 – Graduation Credits – High School
- 603.1 – Basic Instruction Program
Ahrens/Roys. Motion carried 6-0.
The SBRC Application was tabled until the December 9, 2019 meeting.
Motion to approve the support of Sue Updegraff as representative on the AEA Board of directors. Ahrens/Roys. Motion carried 6-0.
Motion to not offer Early Retirement for Certified Staff for the 2019-2020 school year. Ahrens/Roys. Motion carried 6-0.
The Board scheduled a work session on Monday, November 25, 2019 at 5:30 p.m. in the High School Library, 600 North Pine Street, West Union to begin the discussion and process of a Superintendent search.
The board reviewed/discussed a preview of the FY21 school calendar. The calendar will continue to be created with input from Labor Management and will be brought back to the board at a later meeting for final approval.
Possible agenda items for the Annual/Organizational Meeting December 9, 2019:: SBRC and Special Education application.
Motion to adjourn. Rue/Roys. Motion carried 6-0.
The board adjourned their regular meeting at 7:12 p.m.
Stacy Cummings, Board President Carole Nading, Board Secretary